What's the best way to write this regular expression?

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 16:01:16 EST 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 1:39 PM, John Salerno <johnjsal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, first major roadblock. I have no idea how to install Beautiful
> Soup or lxml on Windows! All I can find are .tar files. Based on what
> I've read, I can use the easy_setup module to install these types of
> files, but when I went to download the setuptools package, it only
> seemed to support Python 2.7. I'm using 3.2. Is 2.7 just the minimum
> version it requires? It didn't say something like "2.7+", so I wasn't
> sure, and I don't want to start installing a bunch of stuff that will
> clog up my directories and not even work.

There is a fork of setuptools called "distribute" that supports Python 3.

> What's the best way for me to install these two packages? I've also
> seen a reference to using setup.py...is that a separate package too,
> or is that something that comes with Python by default?

setup.py is a file that should be included at the top-level of the
.tar files you downloaded.  Generally, to install something in that
manner, you would navigate to that top-level folder and run "python
setup.py install".  If you have multiple Python versions installed and
want to install the package for a specific version, then you would use
that version of Python to run the setup.py file.