What's the best way to write this regular expression?

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 16:34:59 EST 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 2:11 PM, John Salerno <johnjsal at gmail.com> wrote:
> The only files included in the .tar.gz file is a .tar file of the same
> name. So I guess the setup option doesn't exist for these particular
> packages.

The setup.py file (as well as the other files) would be inside the
.tar file.  Unlike a Windows zip file, which does both archival and
compression, Unix files are typically archived and compressed in two
separate steps: "tar" denotes the archival format, and "gz" denotes
the compression format.  Some decompression programs are smart enough
to recognize the .tar file and automatically extract it when
decompressing.  Others require you to decompress the .gz and extract
the .tar separately -- it sounds like yours is one of the latter.