Does ElementTree's Parent XPath actually work?

Jason Cooper skawaii at
Fri Mar 9 18:24:04 CET 2012

I'm curious to know if anyone with ElementTree 1.3 has gotten the parent XPath to work? According to, you should be able to do

  >>> import xml.etree.ElementTree as et
  >>> et.VERSION
  >>> elem.find('..')

but that always return None for me. Has anyone else seen this particular XPath work? Am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks for you help!

PS. In case you're wondering, yes I know that lxml supports parent points and, yes, I'm aware of I'm really wondering if the mentioned XPath is broken or something.