How to know that two pyc files contain the same code

Gelonida N gelonida at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 09:48:48 EST 2012

Hi,

I want to know whether two .pyc files are identical.

With identical I mean whether they contain the same byte code.

Unfortunately it seems, that .pyc files contain also something like the
time stamp of the related source file.

So though two pyc files contain the same byte code, they will not be
byte identical.

One option, that I found is to use
python -m unpyclib.application -d filename.pyc and check whether the
results are identical.

However even this will fail if the files were not compiled under the
same absolute path name as the source filename is contained twice  (at
least for my trivial example) in the disassemblers output.

Thanks a lot for any other idea.