Installing Python Apps on Mac Lion

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Tue Mar 13 15:28:37 EDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 12:42 PM, <dilvanezanardine at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sábado, 25 de Junho de 2011 02h20min49s UTC+1, JKPeck escreveu:
> > The Lion version of the OS on the Mac comes with Python 2.7 installed,
> > but it is in /System/Library/Frameworks/..., and this area is not writable
> > by third party apps.
> >
> > So is there a consensus on what apps that typically install under the
> > Python site-packages directory should do in this situation?  Installing
> > Python from python.org puts it in the writable area
> > /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework.
> >
> > So, what should a Python app installer do?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Hello,
>
> currently I have:
>
> /Library/Python/2.7/
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/
> /Users/user/Library/Python/2.7/
>
> With 3 folders "site-packages" and do not know why.
> What's the difference?
>
> Thanks.

If I had to take a guess, having not played too much with Lion:

/Library/Python/2.7 is for user-installed packages for the system
python that are installed for all users.
/Library/Frameworks/... is for the user-installed Python (that's where
it's always gone)
/Users/user/Library... is for user-installed packages for the system
Python that are only installed for the specific user.