Is it technically possible to give Python option of naming process of running script?

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Wed Mar 14 22:15:28 EDT 2012

On 03/14/2012 01:27 PM, Prasad, Ramit wrote:
>>> If 'prctl' is a standard POSIX system call, then it should be a
>>> candidate for inclusion in the os module if someone opens a tracker
>>> enhancement issue and presents an argument in favor.
>>
>> I think this request was already denied: http://bugs.python.org/issue5672
> Also take a look at: https://github.com/dvarrazzo/py-setproctitle
> Though since they just create a Named Object in Windows, I am not sure
> it would work for something like killall.

There is/was a project called exemaker for Windows.  (see Pypi for
link).  I don't use Windows any more, but it was a nice trick, when it
worked.  Not all python scripts could be wrapped in it, but basically it
let you wrap a python script in a tiny Windows program which launched
the usual python dll's.  You could call it anything you liked, and
that's what the task manager saw as the process name.

--

DaveA