Python is readable

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 11:08:37 EDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 1:55 AM, Kiuhnm
<kiuhnm03.4t.yahoo.it at mail.python.org> wrote:
> By the way, the more elaborate parsing consists of looking for an
> END_OF_LINE followed by one or more spaces. It doesn't sound that
> complicated.

Only in the trivial case. What if you want to break your condition
over multiple lines? (Although you have to parenthesize or backslash,
so that's still unambig.) It's helpful to be explicit.

> And what about an editor which indent when you press the spacebar or tab?

Sure, but a good editor helps out by noticing that you did something
that begs for indentation. If I put an open brace, SciTE will indent -
very simple rule. With Python, if there were no colon markers, it
would be quite complicated to figure out whether or not to indent;
with the colons, it's simply "if/while/etc" followed by text followed
by colon, and then no further non-comment text. (This sounds involved.
It's not. It's right enough. -- Lady Blanche)

ChrisA