Python is readable

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Thu Mar 15 11:44:07 EDT 2012

In article <mailman.685.1331825254.3037.python-list at python.org>,
 Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> "We're talking about a file that someone's uploaded to us, so it
> won't matter". Whatever processing we do is massively dwarfed by
> network time, and both scale linearly with the size of the file.

That last part (both scaling linearly) may not be true.  There's an
overhead of one RTT (Round Trip Time) to open a TCP connection.  Add at
least (handwave) one more RTT if you're negotiating encryption (i.e.
https).  If you're sending lots of small files, this can easily swamp
the data transfer time.

The single biggest optimization we've made recently was using a
persistent https connection to an external data provider.  Fortunately,
the truly awesome requests library (http://docs.python-requests.org/)
made that trivial to implement.