Is it technically possible to give Python option of naming process of running script?

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Thu Mar 15 22:00:43 EDT 2012

On 03/15/2012 02:39 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
>>> I did google, I've played with Exemaker (it works perfect, but not py3) and i've seen questions on Stackoverflow.
>>> The thing I mean is a build feature of python to give such a name. Not 3rd part or etc. like Grant Edwards said. Is it possible?
>> How about simply using cp to copy the python executable, run chmod +x on
>> it, and run that one?  Then ps would list it as the new name, not as python.
> That's rather a waste of memory.  Better to use a link.  That way the
> executable can still be shared by multiple programs and won't be
> duplicated in memory.
>
>> i tried it on /usr/bin/python2.7    but I see no reason the same
>> approach won't work on 3.x  Note, I copied it to a new name in the same
>> directory, which may be important.  or not.
> Seems like an awfully obtuse way of doing things -- I don't really
> want to have 15 different copies of Python (or even links), and it
> requires root privleges every time you want to run a Python program
> with the "correct" name.

Good point about using a link.  I was trying to make something that
would probably also work in Windows. As for the needing of root
privileges, that's only for those programs you need to be able to
identify with ps, and only one time for each.

Anyway, it's a response to a specific need, which I don't share, and it
was my second suggestion, not first.

--

DaveA