Is it technically possible to give Python option of naming process of running script?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Fri Mar 16 09:27:34 EDT 2012

On 2012-03-16, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 5:39 AM, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Seems like an awfully obtuse way of doing things -- I don't really
>> want to have 15 different copies of Python (or even links), and it
>> requires root privleges every time you want to run a Python program
>> with the "correct" name.
>
> Why do you need root? Can't you copy / link into your own home directory?

I was thinging about daemons and system-type stuff.

One possible problem with linking from one's home directory is that
home directories are often on different filesystems than /usr/bin (or
wherever python is).   Using a symlink doesn't work, the process name
still ends up as python2.6 (or whatever the real binary is called).

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Where do your SOCKS
                                  at               go when you lose them in