urllib.urlretrieve never returns???

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at shopzeus.com
Sat Mar 17 10:13:16 EDT 2012

See attached example code. I have a program that calls exactly the same
code, and here is the strange thing about it:

  * Program is started as "start.py", e.g. with an open console. In this
    case, the program works!
  * Program is started as "start.pyw", e.g. with no open console under
    Windows 7 64bit - the program does not work!

In the later case, "log.txt" only contains "#1" and nothing else. If I
look at pythonw.exe from task manager, then its shows +1 thread every
time I click the button, and "#1" is appended to the file.

Seems like urllib.urlretrieve() does not return at all!

Using wx.PySimpleApp(redirect=True) does not help either - nothing is
printed on the redirected console.

Unfortunately, I cannot send the whole program, because it is too big
and also because it is confidental.

Question is: how is it possible that urllib.urlretrieve() does not
return? It is part of a system library. What I could have possibly done
to screw it up? And moreover, how is it possible that it does not return
ONLY when the program is started with pythonw.exe?

Thanks,

    Laszlo