Programming D. E. Knuth in Python with the Deterministic Finite Automaton construct

Albert van der Horst albert at
Sun Mar 18 12:08:59 CET 2012

In article <gR09r.22645$I33.16090 at>,
Antti J Ylikoski  <antti.ylikoski at> wrote:
>In his legendary book series The Art of Computer Programming,
>Professor Donald E. Knuth presents many of his algorithms in the form
>that they have been divided in several individual phases, with
>instructions to GOTO to another phase interspersed in the text of the
>individual phases.
>I. e. they look like the following, purely invented, example:  (Knuth is
>being clearer than me below.....)
>A1.  (Do the work of Phase A1.)  If <zap> then go to Phase A5,
>otherwise continue.
>A2.  (Do some work.) If <zorp> go to Phase A4.
>A3.  (Some more work.)
>A4.  (Do something.)  If <condition ZZZ> go to Phase A1.
>A5.  (Something more).  If <foobar> then go to Phase A2, otherwise

I can rewrite this into Python in my sleep, without resorting
to formal techniques.
Instead try one of the harder algorithms like T (Toom Cook)
that must be translated to recursive functions that pass
data down. That took me quite a wile.

The correct answer is, it is just labour. Deal with it.
Note that if you want to translate it to assembler, it is
relatively easy.

>kind regards, Antti J Ylikoski
>Helsinki, Finland, the EU

Groetjes Albert