Python is readable

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Mar 20 14:09:11 EDT 2012

On 3/20/2012 12:55 PM, Nathan Rice wrote:

> I agree, docstrings/code comments are a pretty obvious indication that
> code (as it exists currently) fails as a human communication medium.

The fact that scientific journal articles start with a documentation
string called an abstract does not indicate that scientific English
fails as a human communication medium. Function docstrings say what the
function does and how to use it without reading the code. They can be
pulled out and displayed elsewhere. They also guide the reading of the
code. Abstracts serve the same functions.

--
Terry Jan Reedy