List comprehension/genexp inconsistency.

J. Cliff Dyer jcd at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed Mar 21 09:50:54 EDT 2012

Thanks, Ian.

That does seem to explain it.  The inner loop doesn't have access to the
class's name space, and of course you can't fix it by referencing Foo.y
explicitly, because the class isn't fully defined yet.

Ultimately, we realized that the dict should be created in the __init__
method, so that it gets the appropriate values of the foo and bar
attributes if the class is subclassed, which obviates the problem, but
it's a fascinating peek into python internals.

It looks like this is explained in the section of the pep entitled
"Early Binding versus Late Binding"
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0289/#early-binding-versus-late-binding

Cheers,
Cliff