Number of languages known [was Re: Python is readable] - somewhat OT

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 10:03:14 EDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 12:44 AM, Nathan Rice
<nathan.alexander.rice at gmail.com> wrote:
> We would be better off if all the time that was spent on learning
> syntax, memorizing library organization and becoming proficient with
> new tools was spent learning the mathematics, logic and engineering
> sciences.  Those solve problems, languages are just representations.

Different languages are good at different things. REXX is an efficient
text parser and command executor. Pike allows live updates of running
code. Python promotes rapid development and simplicity. PHP makes it
easy to add small amounts of scripting to otherwise-static HTML pages.
C gives you all the power of assembly language with all the
readability of... assembly language. SQL describes a database request.

You can't merge all of them without making a language that's
suboptimal at most of those tasks - probably, one that's woeful at all
of them. I mention SQL because, even if you were to unify all
programming languages, you'd still need other non-application
languages to get the job done.

Keep the diversity and let each language focus on what it's best at.

ChrisA
who has lots and lots of hammers, so every problem looks like... lots
and lots of nails.