tabs/spaces

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Thu Mar 29 11:16:30 EDT 2012

On 03/29/2012 03:18 AM, Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:
> Am 28.03.2012 20:26, schrieb Terry Reedy:
>> On 3/28/2012 8:28 AM, Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:
> [...]
>>> # call testee and verify results
>>> try:
>>> ...call function here...
>>> except exception_type as e:
>>> if not exception is None:
>>> self.assertEqual(e, exception)
>>
>> Did you use tabs? They do not get preserved indefinitely, so they are
>> bad for posting.
>
> I didn't consciously use tabs, actually I would rather avoid them.
> That said, my posting looks correctly indented in my "sent" folder and
> also in the copy received from my newsserver. What could also have an
> influence is line endings. I'm using Thunderbird on win32 here, acting
> as news client to comp.lang.python. Or maybe it's your software (or
> maybe some software in between) that fails to preserve formatting.
>
> *shrug*
>
> Uli

More likely, you failed to tell Thunderbird to send it as text.  Html
messages will read differently on html aware readers than on the
standard text readers.  They also take maybe triple the space and bandwidth.

In thunderbird  3.1.19
In Edit->Preferences, Composition->general  Configure Text Format
Behavior -> SendOptions  In that dialog, under Text Format, choose
Convert the message to plain text.  Then in the tab called "Plain text
domains", add  python.org

--

DaveA