John Carmack glorifying functional programing in 3k words

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed May 2 18:04:35 EDT 2012

On 05/02/2012 09:31 AM, Tomasz Rola wrote:
> On Wed, 2 May 2012, jaialai.technology at gmail.com wrote:
>> OP lives out of his car and his main source of income seems to be ad
>> revenue from his website.

I'm always curious about this sort of thing.  Do you know this for a
fact, jaialai.technology?

>> He may be nuts be he is pretty smart and some of the articles he has up
>> there are worth reading. Still, he has to promote it in some way and by
>> constantly posting these sorts of things he brings people to his site.
>> I'm honestly impressed he can survive this way so I am willing to
>> ignore or maybe killfile his postings and leave him be.
>
> He may be smart but obviously hasn't figured out this yet: positive aura
> drives more people and more permamently towards you. Perhaps he should
> develop an alter ego that could stand side by side with Dalai Lama and see
> which one gets more attention.

He appears to have some degree of the Aspergers/autism spectrum
disorder.  He quite literally cannot understand how people see him and
why other people don't recognize his genius (both real and imagined).
At least this is one possibility.

Others who have crossed this list appear to have aspergers or autism
too, such as Ranting Rick.  He pops up occasionally, posts quite
normally and even helpfully, and then lapses back into periods of
ranting about how he can fix python and we all should be doing
something.  He refuses to write code to put his ideas into practice, and
berates the list readers for being lazy and unwilling to code this
ideas.  Then eventually he disappears for months even years at a time
before resurfacing.  I've always been curious to know more about Rick.
Where does he work?  How does he live, and what does he do outside of
the python list (he appears to only use his e-mail address on this list).

Then other times I just worry about coding something cool in python.