Minor gripe about module names

John O'Hagan research at johnohagan.com
Sat May 12 06:41:30 EDT 2012

Not sure if this is only package-manager specific, but occasionally I come
across a module that sounds interesting, install it (in my case by apt-get),
and then can't find it, because the actual module has a different name from
what it says on the package - unlike the majority, which if they are called
"python-whatever", are imported using "import whatever".

Today's example was python-ecasound, which after some fruitless guessing
followed by scanning the hundreds of entries returned by help('modules') and
trying to import anything with a promising filename, turned out to really be
called pyeca.

Are there any rules about this kind of thing? (I did say "minor gripe".)

--

John