Extracting DB schema (newbie Q)

John Gordon gordon at panix.com
Mon May 14 13:05:17 EDT 2012

In <bca2r7dt23l49ovp7m7id1ap3iaccvk7pe at 4ax.com> Steve Sawyer <ssawyer at stephensawyer.com> writes:

> What I think I want to do is to construct a dictionary using the
> column names as the index value, and a list containing the various
> attributes (data type, lenghth, precision).

If you're using just the column name as the dictionary key, make sure
there are no duplicate column names among all your tables.

> If this is a good approach, I ran into a problem populating the
> dictionary as I couldn't seem to figure out how to make the update()
> method work by passing the name property of the row object; I kept
> getting a "keyword can't be an expression" error.

The general syntax for assigning to a dictionary is:

  my_dictionary[key] = value

What are you trying that isn't working?

--
John Gordon                   A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs
gordon at panix.com              B is for Basil, assaulted by bears