usenet reading

Temia Eszteri lamialily at cleverpun.com
Sat May 26 04:40:10 EDT 2012

On Fri, 25 May 2012 23:30:24 -0600, Jason Earl
<jearl at notengoamigos.org> wrote:

>On Fri, May 25 2012, Jon Clements wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Normally use Google Groups but it's becoming absolutely frustrating -
>> not only has the interface changed to be frankly impractical, the
>> posts are somewhat random of what appears, is posted and
>> whatnot. (Ironically posted from GG)
>>
>> Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups? I use to
>> be with an ISP that hosted usenet servers, but alas, it's no longer
>> around...
>>
>> Only really interested in Python groups and C++.
>>
>> Any advice appreciated,
>>
>> Jon.
>
>I have had good success with news.eternal-september.org .
>
>http://www.eternal-september.org/
>
>Jason

Not sure if you can even see my original reply to you (I certainly
can't), but it seems the Python mailing list (which I've been using
rather extensively up until now) has some serious problems syncing to
the newsgroup - large amounts of content simply isn't crossing over
into Usenet's territory, if the synchronization is anything beyond
read-only to begin with.

It's a shame, but it looks like I'll have to go back to using the
mailing list to read for completeness's sake. :/ Gonna be tricky
juggling that for reading and keeping Usenet for writing (so as to not
contribute to the information loss), but I'll make do somehow.

~Temia
--
When on earth, do as the earthlings do.