rurpy at yahoo.com
rurpy at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 23:00:48 CET 2012
On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:38:57 PM UTC-6, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 31/10/2012 19:35, ru... at yahoo.com wrote:
>> "Broken"? Yes. But so is every piece of software in one way
>> or another. Thunderbird is one of the most perpetually buggy
>> pierces of software I have ever used on a continuing basis
> Please provide evidence that Thunderbird is buggy. I use it quite
> happily, don't have problems, and have never seen anybody complaining
> about it.
I hesitate to respond to this because thunderbird bugs are really
OT, but since you insist...
A few years ago started keeping a list TB problems I encountered.
I stopped maintaining it a year or so ago.
It is a mixture of bugs, misfeatures, and things I couldn't
figure out, etc. Many have been fixed in later versions.
Nevertheless, it illustrates *my* experience with TB.
Note that despite the problems, I still use TB in some
Different apps have different bugs/(mis)features and every
person has their own weighting factors on those bugs.
End result is different people prefer different apps for
different purposes (and some of us find GG the least worst
choice for posting here.)
* In Search dialog clicked on the Search in folder dropdown after
an earlier search and TB crashed (disappeared along with the
new message I was editing.) [3.0.1]
* Search for japanese text in body no longer works (never finds
text even when it exists). [3.0.1] Used to work.
* Each mail message displays useless header info that uses 25%
of the available vertical space.
* When editing a reply message, typing a return at eol results in
two blank lines inserted.
* When editing message, siometimes edit cursor disappears
tho editing still seems to work normally.
* Requires voodoo to create hmtl new message when default is
plain text or visa versa. Have to hold shift key while clicking
"write" button. Shift while choosing "new", "reply", etc in
menu doesn't work.
* Frequently, clinking on a usenet newsgroup results in TB freeze.
Only solution is to remove group and re-add later. (Problem
since 2.x days.)
* Frequently after an apparently normal shutdown, attempt to restart
results in "TB is already running" error.
* Some folders in the folder tree view are greyed out and not
selectable even though they have no visible different properties
than selectable ones. Don't know how they got that way.
* Clicking on a folder in the folder tree pane results in a pop-
up dialog "this folder is not selectable" that has to be dismissed,
even though one is trying to get it's properties, or is selecting
it to create a subfolder.
* Messages change from "read" to "unread" in folders at random when
folder is accessed, or even when it is not accessed. [gone in 3.0.3?]
* Interminttently, when I click a usenet message to view it,
the contents pane remains blank. Contents of that message
remain blank foreever. [new with 3.0.1].
* When TB main window closed while editing an email, can no longer
save the email, even if the TB main window is reopened.
* Counts of new messages in usenet groups are often wildly high.
* When opening up a usenet server, status bar reports "no new
messages on server" even though TB then updates the groups
with the new messages that *are* on the server. [new in 3.0.1]
* After upgrade to TB-3.0, opening a usenet server results not
only in the group being scanned for new messages in each group
(as before) but also the headers for all those new messages
being downloaded (slow on a dialup connection and a waste of
time if I don't intend to read anything in that group).
No obvious way to revert to original behaviour.
* Even tho the number of unread messages listed beside a usenet
group in the folder pane is less than the download limit, I
sometimes get pop-up asking how many messages to download,
when I access the group. (side effect of above problem I think.)
* Sometimes TB downloads two copies of each header.
* When I compress folders, get a series of several dozen pop-
up messages (each requiring a click on "OK") telling me
that foplder "xx" is not selectable.
* Copy-paste from TB to other app fails if TB is closed
before the paste -- the paste buffer appears empty [TB-3.0b4]
* Copy paste fails by removing text (forgot if it is just the
copied text or other text) in the TB message when pasted
somewhere else. [TB-2?]
* After upgrade to TB-3.0x, i no longer see a way to create a
new imap subfolder. Had to create it using MSOE.
* After upgrade to TB-3.0x double clicking on attached .jpg image
no longer opens it -- only option is to save and open outside
of TB. phfft.
* HTF do you change the font size for plain text message composition?
Prefs has a setting for html but...
* search of body for multiple "anded" text never ends if one of
the search boxes is empty.
* Search "stop" button doesn't stop search.
* One group frequently, without any action on my part, read thousands
of old articles, showing them as unread, and when I choose one, responds
with "article expired" message. (tb-3.0.4)
* Sometimes clicking a group in tree pane causes TB freeze. (This is different
than similar problem listed above in that above problem happens when clicking
on article in group, and this problem only requires a tb resart to fix whereas
above problem required unsubscribing/resubscribing group.)
* Sometimes newgroups are colored blue in the tree pane, no idea why.
* Sometimes when a message is dragged to a different folder, the
message pane continue to display the message contents although the
message highlighted in the message list pane is a different one.
* Every time I access a particular news group, TB seems create two
connections to it, the second one times out after 5 minutes or so
but keeps the progress bar active and the status bar displaying
"no new messages". Deleting and recreating acount does not fix.
* Save as html page gives Gnome "open" dialog, click on directory
button to save in parent directory, click save, file is saved in
* Lately when TB is started, there is one account that is always
displayed expanded even though it was collapsed when TB was last
More information about the Python-list