Organisation of python classes and their methods

Paul Rubin at nospam.invalid
Fri Nov 2 08:38:31 CET 2012

Martin Hewitson <martinhewitson at> writes:
> So, is there a way to put these methods in their own files and have
> them 'included' in the class somehow? ... Is there an official python
> way to do this? I don't like having source files with 100's of lines
> of code in, let alone 1000's.

That code sounds kind of smelly... why are there so many methods per

Python lets you inject new methods into existing classes (this is
sometimes called duck punching) but I don't recommend doing this.

A few hundred lines of code in a file is completely reasonable.  Even a
few thousand is ok.  IME it starts getting unwieldy at 3000 or so.