pythonic way

Chris Angelico rosuav at
Fri Nov 2 10:11:49 CET 2012

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 7:58 PM, jack <naruto0.1 at> wrote:
> thanks,but I don't think enumerate() is my want
> Have some ways to operate the reference of element,not a copy when I tried
> to traverse a list?
> I'm so sorry about my poor English, hope you don't mind it.

No probs, I'll be a little less vague and pointer-y and give you some
example code. :)

lst = ['foo', 'bar', 'quux', 'asdf', 'qwer', 'zxcv']
for idx, val in enumerate(lst):
    if val[1]=='w': lst[idx]='Replaced'

['foo', 'bar', 'quux', 'asdf', 'Replaced', 'zxcv']

Does that explain it a bit better? You get the index and can then
mutate the list using that index, thus replacing the original entry.