Python Script for Colorizing Traceroute Output (apologies for top-post)

Chris Angelico rosuav at
Sun Nov 18 02:27:02 CET 2012

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Steven D'Aprano
<steve+comp.lang.python at> wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 09:00:10 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:
> [...]
>> I've never used the program, though, so I have no idea how good it is.
>> All I've done is download the tar.gz and glance over a few bits (the
>> licence, mainly - which is mostly-GPL).
> "Mostly" GPL? You mean "not GPL".
> I really wish people wouldn't invent their own licences. It adds
> complexity and confusion to the licencing space. Unless you're a lawyer,
> and sometimes even if you are a lawyer, any modification you make to an
> established licence could be invalid, or possibly even invalidate the
> entire licence.
> Licence proliferation hurts us all. Just say No.

The wording in the file does permit you to use it under the exact
terms of the GPL (though no version is specified). But I agree, we
should stick to a handful of well-known licenses and be done with it.
I like the BSD two-clause, myself, less wordy than the GPL.