Is it bad style to override the built-in function `type`?

Michael Herrmann michael.herrmann at
Fri Nov 23 17:12:38 CET 2012

do you think it's bad style to override the built-in function `type`? I'm co-developing a GUI automation library called Automa ( and 'type' would be a very fitting name for a function that generates artificial key strokes.

This post is motivated by an already lengthy discussion on this mailing list (, where we tried to find alternative names for `type`. Many were found, but none are quite as fitting as 'type'.

For the sake of avoiding a discussion that is already being lead elsewhere please confine this thread to what you generally think about overriding `type`, and post suggestions for alternative names or solutions in the other thread.

Thank you very much!