terminate called after throwing an instance of 'CABRTException'

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 2 08:06:01 EDT 2012

>> I've noticed a strange thing with python lately:
>>

>> Python 2.6.2 (r262:71600, Aug 21 2009, 12:23:57)
>> [GCC 4.4.1 20090818 (Red Hat 4.4.1-6)] on linux2
>> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'CABRTException'
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in f
>> NameError: global name 'x' is not defined
>>>>>

>> Clearly there is a NameError because x is not defined, but what the
>> hell is the "terminate ..... 'CABRTException'" business?
>>
>> I guess it has to do with abrt but abrt is not running on my system at
>> all. Also, if I run python2.7 with the above code I don't get the
>> CABRTException stuff. What is really strange is that I have all sorts
>> of recent files in /var/cache/abrt/pyhook-* indicating that somehow
>> abrt is doing things even though it is not running, for instance
>> chkconfig --list | grep abrt shows it off in all run levels.
>>
>> What's going on?
>
> No idea, but I'd have a look at sys.modules, and if

> []
>
> gives a non-empty result I'd investigate where the culprit is imported --
> /usr/lib/python2.6/sitecustomize.py would be the obvious candidate.

Indeed! Thanks a lot,
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sitecustomize.py was created by the
package abrt-addon-python (at least this is the fedora name) and so it
was activated by python itself completely independently from abrt
(which was not running).

Now I removed all packages called abrt-* and the problem is gone.

Cheers,
Daniel