Installation on Mac OSX 10.6.8 doesn't create the folder: /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue Apr 2 19:09:35 EDT 2013

In article
<CAEk9e3q=K9Kjd58fkUooUvzzmbm62s21qcmFjAyuGpQOhk70vA at mail.gmail.com>,
 Jason Swails <jason.swails at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 6:22 AM, kramer65 <kramerh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello people,
> >

> > I installed python 2.7 on Mac OSX 10.6.8 with no problems  and it is
> > working fine. When I try to install Kivy however (www.kivy.org), I get an
> > error saying:
> >

> How did you install Python 2.7?  How did you install Kivy?  Note that Kivy
> states 10.7 or 10.8 is required.

> /> /usr/local/bin/kivy: line 24:
> > /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python2.7: No
> > such file or directory
> > /usr/local/bin/kivy: line 24: exec:
> > /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python2.7:
> > cannot execute: No such file or directory
> >
> > Upon inspection the there are folders named 2.3, 2.5 and 2.6 in the
> > Versions
> > folder, but indeed no folder named "2.7". When I log into the interactive
> > python command line however, it clearly says I've got python 2.7.3
> > installed.

/System/Library/Frameworks is the location for Apple-supplied system
Pythons.  OS X 10.6 ships with complete versions of Python 2.6 and 2.5
(and the shared libs for 2.3).  So you won't find a 2.7 folder there in
10.6.8.  In OS X 10.7 and 10.8, Apple ships 2.7, 2.6, and 2.5.

If you used one of the python.org installers to install 2.7, it will be
installed into /Library/Frameworks and, by default, symlinks will be
installed in /usr/local/bin for python, python2.7, etc.  Since
/usr/local/bin/kivy appears to be a script of some sort, examine it and
see exactly what command is on line 24.  The solution might be as simple
as editing a line there to remove the "/System" part.

> Another option is to grok the MacPorts Portfile for Python 2.7 to figure
> out how they compile it using the Mac Framework and emulate that process
> when you build Python 2.7 from source (but don't install to /opt/local).

I'm not sure what you are proposing there.  But you should never attempt
to install anything into /System/Library: that's part of OS X and
controlled by Apple.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org