Trying to understand working with dicts

Dylan Evans dylan at dje.me
Fri Apr 5 12:24:54 EDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 10:34 PM, inshu chauhan <insideshoes at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Here in my part of the code where cc is a dictionary. I want to understand
> what actually cc.iterkeys() and cc[k] actually doing.
> I am already reading
> http://docs.python.org/2/library/stdtypes.html#dict.items
> and http://www.tutorialspoint.com/python/python_dictionary.htm but still
> not very clear.
>
> cc = Computesegclass(segimage, refimage)
>     for k in sorted(cc.iterkeys()):
>         i = argmax(cc[k])
>         print >> f, i+1

Not sure what Computesegclass is but i am guessing that it is a class which
implements __getitem__ and __setitem__, which allows the use of the square
bracket notation cc[k], you could also write cc.__getitem__(k) , if you
really wanted to.
See http://docs.python.org/2/reference/datamodel.html#object.__getitem__

iterkeys returns an iterator over the dictionary keys, which is an object
with a next method which returns each key in the dictionary until there are
no more, then it raises StopIteration.

> Thanks in Advance

"The UNIX system has a command, nice ... in order to be nice to the other
users. Nobody ever uses it." - Andrew S. Tanenbaum