I hate you all

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Apr 6 02:19:53 EDT 2013

On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 23:59:18 -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:

> On 04/05/2013 11:53 PM, Ian Kelly wrote:
>>> The new rules may look flexible at first sight, but the net effect
>>> they have is they push me to use non-default tab size (which is not
>>> good),
>>
>> What makes that not good?  There is no law anywhere that says tabs are
>> 8 characters.  That's just an arbitrary amount that looked appropriate
>> to the people designing the first teletypes.
>
> Ahh but assuming tabs are the equivalent of 8 spaces can save 7 bytes
> per tab character in the source code!  Think of the savings.

If we standardize on 1025 spaces per indent, and use tabs, we can save
1KiB per indent. Let's see now... looking at a typical piece of code in
my code base, I make it that the average line of code is indented about
1.75 levels. (I use a lot of top-level functions, and few classes). With
an average line length of 50 characters, plus indentation, we can reduce
the size of a typical Python module by ninety-seven percent!

Of course, what we save in disk space, we lose in monitor size, but I'm
sure that the price of 300 inch monitors will soon become quite
affordable.

--
Steven