im.py: a python communications tool

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Apr 7 18:36:57 EDT 2013

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 14:47:11 -0700, jhunter.dunefsky wrote:

> Actually, my current licence can be found here:
> https://github.com/jhunter-d/im.py/blob/master/LICENCE.  Whaddaya think
> about this, Useneters?

I think you're looking for a world of pain, when somebody uses your
software, it breaks something, and they sue you. Your licence currently
means that you are responsible for the performance of your software.

Why don't you use a recognised, tested, legally-correct licence, like the
MIT licence, instead of trying to be clever and/or lazy with a one-liner?

E.g. http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT

Software licencing is a solved problem. Do you really think that people
write three or four paragraph licences because they *like* legal
boilerplate? Did you imagine that you were the first person to think, "I
know! I'll write a one-liner telling people they can do whatever they
want with my software! Nothing can possibly go wrong!"?

Use a known, tested, working solution, and save yourself the pain.

--
Steven