[pyxl] Re: xlrd 0.9.2 released!

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Apr 29 05:14:54 EDT 2013

On 26/04/2013 20:37, Ondrej Ján wrote:
>    If users have python-xlrd installed, package maintainer should release
> only updates, which are API compatible with older versions.

Right, the only API change between 0.6 and 0.9 is the removal of the
'pickleable' parameter to open_workbook. However, this was removed
because it hadn't worked in a long long time.

>    Both Fedora and CentOS has python>=2.6, python3 is available for Fedora
> too (no plans to release python3-xlrd now).

xlrd 0.9 and above works with both python2 and python3 as-is.

>    So can I release an update for all my Linux distributions with backward
> compatibility of this package? xlrd-0.8 was requested for xlsx support.

I would suggest just going for 0.9.2.

>    Are there some howtos describing upgrading applications using xlrd
> to newer versions? These documents can help me to choose, if I can release
> an update.

There aren't any, because there are no changes. Applications written for
0.6.x will still work without change when using 0.9.2.

cheers,

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk