Copy a file like unix cp -a --reflink

Jerry Hill malaclypse2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 20:43:14 CET 2013

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM, Paulo da Silva
<p_s_d_a_s_i_l_v_a at netcabo.pt> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is there a way to copy a file the same as Unix command:
>
> cp -a --reflink src dest
>
> without invoking a shell command?

I started to dig through the cp man page to see what that did, then
gave up when each option expanded out to several more.  i.e., "-a,
--archive same as -dR --preserve=all" leads to looking up -d -R and
--preserve, etc.

To me, it's just not worth it to spend more time researching your
question than you spent writing the email asking it. If you don't get
the answers you're looking for, you might try asking again, specifying
the exact behavior you'd like to achieve.

PS: That isn't really meant as any kind of complaint about your
question.  It's consise, easy to read, and gets right to the point.
It just assumes a lot of background knowledge.  If someone else
happens to already know all of that background, they may be able to
help right off.  If not, they may be interested enough to do the
research to figure it all out and then help. You just may be able to
prompt more people to help by cutting down on the amount of work it
would take them to do so.

--
Jerry