Converting a string to a number by using INT (no hash method)
nikos.gr33k at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 18:02:58 CET 2013
Τη Τρίτη, 22 Ιανουαρίου 2013 6:27:32 μ.μ. UTC+2, ο χρήστης Leonard, Arah έγραψε:
> > I just need a way to CONVERT a string(absolute path) to a 4-digit unique number with INT!!! That's all i want!! But i cannot make it work :(
> > And the best part is that "that" number must be able to turn back into a path.
> > This way i DON'T EVEN HAVE TO STORE THE ACTUAL HTML PAGE'S ABSOLUTE PATH!!!!
> > 1. User requests a specific html page( .htaccess gives my script the absolute path for that .html page) 2. I turn the path into a 4-digitnumber 3. i store that number to the database. I DONT EVEN HAVE TO STORE THE PATH TO THE DATABASE ANYMORE!!! this is just great!
> Without involving some kind of lookup table/map service to store the paths (which would entirely >defeat the purpose) what you are ranting about is technically impossible. If you tried really >really hard you *might* be able to convert a string that long into some kind of 4-digit integer >checksum, but you would *never* be able to convert that back into a file path. Nor would it be >guaranteed to be unique.
Now that iam thinking of it more and more, i don't have to turn the 'path' back to a 'number'
So, what i want is a function foo() that does this:
foo( "some long string" ) --> 1234
1. User requests a specific html page( .htaccess gives my script the absolute path for that .html page)
2. turn the 'path' to 4-digit number and save it as 'pin' (how?)
3. i store that number to the database. I DONT EVEN HAVE TO STORE THE HTML PAGE'S PATH TO THE DATABASE ANYMORE!!! this is just great!
At some later time i want to check the weblog of that .html page
1. request the page as: http://mydomain.gr/index.html?show=log
2. .htaccess gives my script the absolute path of the requested .html file
3. turn the 'path' to 4-digit number and save it as 'pin' (this is what i'am asking)
4. select all log records for that specific .html page (based on the 'pin' column)
Since i have the requested 'path' which has been converted to a database stored 4-digit number, i'am aware for which page i'am requesting detailed data from, so i look upon the 'pin' column in the database and thus i know which records i want to select.
No need, to turn the number back to a path anymore, just the path to a number, to identify the specific .html page
Can this be done?
More information about the Python-list