Bug reports [was Re: Python list code of conduct]

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 10:52:16 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 12:23 AM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> In article <mailman.4170.1372860945.3114.python-list at python.org>,
>  Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 12:03 AM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:

>> > The sad thing about this statement is that IPv6 has been around for
>> > about as long as Python.
>>
>> Yeah, and yet so many ISPs simply don't support it (only one of the
>> Australian ISPs I've worked with does - Internode).
>
> My comment was not meant as a flame against Python, but as a flame
> against the whole frigging Internet industry for dragging their feet(*)
> on IPv6 rollout.
>
> (*) It is difficult to walk with any gait other than foot-dragging when
> you are suffering from a severe case of cranio-rectal inversion.

Right. My examples of dark corners were non-specific too; I haven't
actually found any such corners in Python as I don't use it enough.
It's high time the world moved to IPv6 wholesale. Start leaning on
your ISPs to offer /64s (or /56s as Internode give) to all their
customers. Sooner or later they'll have to make it a priority. IPv4
depletion was back in early 2011 - that's two years since IANA gave
out the last blocks to the RIRs. Surely that means something?

At work, we took a stand on this, for what it's worth. We rent
dedicated servers from a number of hosting companies (giving us
geographically and topologically separate servers), and will not work
with anyone who doesn't give IPv6 as well as IPv4 addressing. But
since we currently put less than $100/month into servers, that's not
much of a stand :)

ChrisA