Important features for editors

William Ray Wing wrw at mac.com
Thu Jul 4 09:42:05 EDT 2013

On Jul 4, 2013, at 9:22 AM, Tim Chase <python.list at tim.thechases.com> wrote:

> On 2013-07-04 05:02, Dave Angel wrote:
> [snip an excellent list of things to look for in an editor]
>
> Also,
>
> - the ability to perform changes in bulk, especially across files.
>  Often, this is done with the ability to record/playback macros,
>  though some editors have multiple insertion/edit cursors; others
>  allow for performing a bulk-change command across the entire file
>  or list of files.

To Tim's and Dave's excellent lists let me add one more feature that I find useful:
  the ability to bulk-search through all files in a folder/directory/project for a word
  or phrase, display the hits and then selectively or optionally do a replace on each
  hit in the displayed list.  In effect, this is an interactive extension of the bulk
  search and replace Tim lists above.

> - folding (the ability to collapse multiple lines of text down to one
>  line).  Especially if there are various ways to do it (manual
>  folding, language-block folding, folding by indentation)

Yes, yes, yes.  It may simply be a reflection of my poor programming style (grow
  by accretion, wait way too long to refactor), but this is a big help in following
  program logic.

> - multiple clipboard buffers/registers
>
> - multiple bookmarks
>
> - the ability to interact with external programs (piping a portion of
>  a file through an external utility)

And in particular, the ability to preview a chunk of html in a browser.