How do I get the OS System Font Directory(Cross-Platform) in python?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Jul 13 03:20:29 EDT 2013

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 23:38:18 -0700, Metallicow wrote:

> On Saturday, July 13, 2013 12:36:45 AM UTC-5, Tim Roberts wrote:
>> Really?  Because Windows is the ONLY one of the major operating systems
>>
>> that actually has a dedicated system fonts directory.  Linux doesn't
>> even
>>
>> have a dedicated windowing system.
>
> So... Is it expected to install duplicates to multiple locations with
> Mac and Linux...?

No. Mac does have dedicated font locations. There are five official
locations, with distinct meanings:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2435

(I do not know if OS-X ever localises directory names according to the
user's language.) There is no need to install fonts in multiple locations.

Linux does not expect to have fonts installed *at all*. A graphical
interface is entirely optional for Linux, so Linux may have no fonts.

There are two standard font systems available on Linux. The 15+ year old
X Font Server ("xfs") technology is still in use, but many Linux distros
are moving towards the newer Fontconfig system. Fontconfig allows you to
define as many font directories as you want, although there are a few de-
facto standard locations.

For more information, see for example:

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deployment_Guide-en-US/s1-x-fonts.html

--