Help with pygame

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Tue Jul 16 14:58:40 EDT 2013

On 07/16/2013 01:29 PM, Daniel Kersgaard wrote:
> [...]
>
> import pygame as pg
> import random as rnd
> import sys
>
> #define colors using rgb
> RED        = (255,0,0)
> RED_DARK   = (150,0,0)
> GREEN      = (0,255,0)
> GREEN_DARK = (0,150,0)
> BLUE       = (0,0,255)
> BLUE_DARK  = (0,0,150)
> WHITE      = (255,255,255)
> BLACK      = (0,0,0)
>
> #block size
> BLOCK_SIZE = 30
>

> #play area and game speed
> WIDTH = 25
> HEIGHT = 25
> SPEED = 8
> SPEED_TICK =2
> SPEED_NIC = 5
> SHORT = 12
> LONG = 1
>

> UP = 0
> DOWN = 1
> LEFT = 2
> RIGHT = 3
>

> class food:
>
>      #class constructor
>      def __init__(self, surface, min_xcord, max_xcord, min_ycord, max_ycord):
>          self.surface = surface
>          self.min_xcord = min_xcord
>          self.max_xcord = max_xcord
>          self.min_ycord = min_ycord
>          self.max_ycord = max_ycord
>
>          self.apple = pg.Surface((BLOCK_SIZE, BLOCK_SIZE))
>          self.apple.set_alpha(255)
>          self.apple.fill(RED)
>      #get food position
>      def getPosition(self):
>          return (rnd.randint(self.min_xcord, self.max_xcord), rnd.randint(self.min_ycord, self.max_ycord))
>
>      #draw the food on the play area
>      def draw(self):
>          position = self.getPosition()
>
>          self.surface.blit(self.apple, (position[0] * BLOCK_SIZE, position[1] * BLOCK_SIZE))
>
> def drawWalls(surface):
>
>      # create wall block
>      wallblock = pg.Surface((BLOCK_SIZE, BLOCK_SIZE))
>      wallblock.set_alpha(255)
>      wallblock.fill(BLUE)
>
>      #left and right walls
>      for y in range(HEIGHT):
>          surface.blit(wallblock, (0, y * BLOCK_SIZE))
>          surface.blit(wallblock, (WIDTH * BLOCK_SIZE, y * BLOCK_SIZE))
>
>          for x in range(WIDTH):
>              surface.blit(wallblock, (x * BLOCK_SIZE, 0))
>              surface.blit(wallblock, (x * BLOCK_SIZE, HEIGHT * BLOCK_SIZE))

Two things wrong here.  One is that your lines are zero based and
therefore they don't fill the far end, and other is that you draw the
horizontal lines many times.

     #left and right walls
     for y in range(HEIGHT):
         surface.blit(wallblock, (0, y * BLOCK_SIZE))
         surface.blit(wallblock, (WIDTH * BLOCK_SIZE, (y+1) * BLOCK_SIZE))

     #top and bottom walls
     wallblock.fill(GREEN)     #REMOVE ME
     for x in range(WIDTH):
         surface.blit(wallblock, ((x+1) * BLOCK_SIZE, 0))
         surface.blit(wallblock, (x * BLOCK_SIZE, HEIGHT * BLOCK_SIZE))

What I did here was to (temporarily) color the top and bottom walls
GREEN instead of BLUE, and you can better see what happens.  I also
fixed two of the walls to start at 1 instead of zero.  And unindented
the latter code so it only displays once.

Once you see what it's doing, you probably want to remove the line that
I labelled  "REMOVE ME"

--
DaveA