Message passing syntax for objects | OOPv2

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri May 10 00:33:52 EDT 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Mark Janssen <dreamingforward at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 4:58 PM, alex23 <wuwei23 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10 May, 07:51, Mark Janssen <dreamingforw... at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> You see Ian, while you and the other millions of coding practitioners
>>> have (mal)adapted to a suboptimal coding environment where "hey
>>> there's a language for everyone"  and terms are thrown around,
>>> misused, this is not how it needs or should be.
>>
>> Please cite your industry experience so we know this is a pragmatic
>> exercise for you and not a display of public onanism.
>
> "Industry experience...."
>
> Do you know all the world's [industrial] leaders are endorsing an
> impossible path of endless, exponential growth on a finite planet?
>
> Is that who you answer to?

I don't answer to them. I also believe in a path of endless
exponential growth. Challenge: Create more information than can be
stored in one teaspoon of matter. Go ahead. Try!

The first hard disk I ever worked with stored 20MB in the space of a
5.25" slot (plus its associated ISA controller card). Later on we got
3.5" form factor drives, and I remember installing this *gigantic*
FOUR GIGABYTE drive into our disk server. Wow! We'll NEVER use all
that space! (Well, okay. Even then we knew that space consumption kept
going up. But we did figure on that 4GB lasting us a good while, which
it did.) Today, I can pop into Budget PC or MSY (or you folks in the
US could check out newegg) and pick up a terabyte of storage in the
same amount of physical space, or you can go 2.5" form factor and take
up roughly a fifth of the physical space and still get half a terabyte
fairly cheaply. So our exponential growth is being supported by
exponential increases in data per cubic meter. Between that and the
vast size of this planet, I don't think we really need to worry too
much about finite limits to IT growth.

ChrisA