Future standard GUI library

llanitedave llanitedave at veawb.coop
Wed May 22 22:31:55 EDT 2013

On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 7:24:15 AM UTC-7, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 11:42 PM, Wolfgang Keller <feliphil at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > What other open-source cross-platform programming language choices do yo
>
> > have.
>

> > Java? For GUIs? Excuse me while I vomit.
>

> > C++? As a language for human beings? Oops, I have to throw up again.
>

> I personally like using Pike and GTK, so if I were to try a
>
> cross-platform Python GUI project, I'd probably give PyGTK a shot. But
>
> there's another option that is available to every platform and
>
> (practially) every high level language: the web browser. Make your app
>
> serve HTTP and do up your UI in HTML5/CSS3 - your facilities are
>
> pretty extensive. Plus you get networking support for free! Obviously
>
> this option isn't for everyone, but don't discount it out of hand.
>

> ChrisA

I've been thinking about that myself for some future app ideas.  If you have a stand-alone app working from your web browser, don't you need an embedded web server to utilize the file system?  Is a system like Django for an app overkill?  Or is its embedded development server underkill for a single-user browser-based application?