Error with python 3.3.2 and https

asianavatar at gmail.com asianavatar at gmail.com
Thu May 23 11:48:59 EDT 2013

I am trying to write a program that requires me hitting a https web link. However, I can't seem to get it to work. The program works fine when dealing with http sites, however, when I try it with a https site I get

socket.gaierror: [Errno 11001] getaddrinfo failed

It seems like it has something to do with the ssl not working, however, I do have the ssl.py in the python library and I have no problem importing it.

My code is below. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

import urllib.request
auth = urllib.request.HTTPSHandler()
proxy = urllib.request.ProxyHandler({'http':'my proxy'})
opener = urllib.request.build_opener(proxy, auth)
f = opener.open('http://www.google.ca/')