Getting the Appdata Directory with Python and PEP?

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 25 22:20:18 CET 2013

On 25/11/2013 20:48, Eamonn Rea wrote:
> I've heard that there is a library that allows you to get the appdata directory for a given OS, but I'd like to do it myself, as a learning experience.
>
> Is there a built in way to get a users Appdata Directory? For example on OS X it's in '~/Library//Application Support/'. I can get the OS just fine (sys.platform and then storing it in my own way; example: darwin = OS X, just for my own readability), and I can get the home directory just fine (expanduser), but I have no idea how to get the appdata directory.
>
> One way I could think of doing it would be to just detect the os and join the string on like so (completely untested, but an idea);
>
> if os == 'OS X':
>      appdata_dir = os.path.join(home_dir, '/Application Support/')
>
> But then that arises the problem of cross platform compatibility.
>
> So is here a good, cross platform solution to this problem?

Take a look here
http://docs.python.org/3/library/os.html#process-parameters,
specifically os.environ.

> Also, what is PEP, PEP8, etc? Is it like the Python programming layout conventions? Is there more to it than that?

PEP stands for Python Enhancement Proposal, please see
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/  PEP8 is the style guide for Python code.

But the best has yet to be invented.  Christian Tismer

Mark Lawrence