JUST GOT HACKED

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Oct 2 05:08:01 EDT 2013

On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 12:32:57 +0530, Ravi Sahni wrote:

> I find this real confused!! Why they are answering then?!?! As far as I
> can make out everyone who is answering (helping!) doing it frustratation
> and disgust.  But still they keep answering and answering!!
>
> Makes no sense

If you want to ask why people are answering Nikos' questions, you should
ask them directly. I won't speak for others, but I'll answer for myself:
I answer Nikos' questions because:

#1 He is a member of our community who needs help with Python, and this
is a welcoming community, not an elitist one.

#2 Some of his questions are interesting technical questions, like his
Unicode problems. I have learnt things from answering his questions. I'm
sure other people have learnt things from reading those answers.

#3 Even his uninteresting questions deserve answers. Everybody here, I am
sure, has asked boring or stupid or trivial questions at some stage,
especially the newbies. Even when the answer is just "This answer is the
same as last time you asked", the question deserves an answer. This is a
matter of simple respect. We should treat others in the way we would hope
to be treated if we were in their shoes.

#4 Explicit is better than implicit. Even if nobody has an answer, or if
it is off-topic, it is better to explicitly say that we have no answer
and remove all doubt than to respond with nothing but silence and leave
open the hope that if you just ask again more loudly someone will answer.

#5 In the long run, encouraging good behaviour is more effective at
changing people's behaviour than merely punishing bad behaviour.

#6 Consider the first impression of a newbie, joining this community with
questions about Python. The first thing they see is Nikos asking
questions, and being ignored, or worse, being abused. Does that send the
message that we want, that their questions are welcome?

--
Steven