Python was designed (was Re: Multi-threading in Python vs Java)

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 25 14:05:09 EDT 2013

On 25/10/2013 07:14, wxjmfauth at gmail.com wrote:

[snip all the double spaced crap - please read, digest and action this
https://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython]

> Use one of the coding schemes endorsed by Unicode.

As I personally know nothing about unicode for the unenlightened such as
myself please explain this statement with respect to the fsr.

> If a dev is not able to see a non ascii char may use 10
> bytes more than an ascii char

Are you saying that an ascii char takes a byte but a non ascii char
takes up to 11?  If yes please state where the evidence of this is.  If
no please state what you are saying.

> or a dev is not able to
> see there may be a regression of a factor 1, 2, 3, 5 or
> more simply by using non ascii char, I really do not see
> now I can help.

Are you saying that the fsr causes a speed regression of this order?  If
yes please state where the evidence of this is.  If no please state what
you are saying.

> Neither I can force people to understand unicode.

Very true, I certainly don't.

> I recieved a ton a private emails, even from core
> devs

Please provide examples of these.  If you have to name names, out of
courtesy all you neeed do is ensure that they're given copies of
anything that you say.

> and as one wrote, this has not been seriously
> tested.

Surely any core dev would simply have raised an issue on the bug
tracker?  Why are they sending you private emails on this subject?

> Even today on the misc. lists some people
> are suggesting to write to add more tests.

What are these misc. lists?  Why suggest, why not write?

> All the tools I'm aware of, are using unicode very
> smoothly (even "utf-8 tools"), Python not.

Please provide evidence to support this statement.

> That's the status. This FSR fails. Period.

Please provide evidence to support this statement.

> jmf

But the best has yet to be invented.  Christian Tismer

Mark Lawrence