Animated PNG Vs Gif: 120fr 3D Python Powered Logo

Metallicow metaliobovinus at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 10:23:32 EDT 2013

On Tuesday, October 22, 2013 2:56:33 AM UTC-5, Ian wrote:
> This is not entirely true.  The minimum specifiable delay for a frame
> in an animated gif (other than 0, which just means "as fast as
> possible") is 0.01 second, which is the setting in the gif linked
> above.  However, most browsers that encounter this will automatically
> increase the delay to 0.1 second.  This is done for compatibility with
> old versions of Netscape.  According to [1], Firefox, Opera and Chrome
> will accurately display delays as small as 0.02 seconds.  Safari and
> IE will accurately display delays as small as 0.06 seconds.
>
> Here is an alternate version of the above gif that displays the
> animation at 50 fps in the first three browsers listed above:
> http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc41/Peristarkawan/j29-2.gif
>
> And here it is at 17 fps with 2/3 of the frames removed, for the
> benefit of IE and Safari:
> http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc41/Peristarkawan/j29-6.gif
>
> [1] http://nullsleep.tumblr.com/post/16524517190/animated-gif-minimum-frame-delay-browser-compatibility

Thanks, I was having a bit of trouble trying to figure it out exactly myself in blender by eye-sight.
Interesting Test link.

When I originally rendered the animation it was transparent background, but when giffed it looked rather sick with gifs limited transparency and colors specs, so I rerendered and modded the text back into it on white which is what the other PSF logos have.
After looking at Firefox's spinning fox APNG on transparent, I think I will rerender the images again with transparency for the apng, so background color can be easily changed.
It seems the delays are not altered on the apngs also, which is a good thing.
Maybe there is an option with the browsers to disable gif 0 delay mangling...?

So What did you use to increase the speed of the gif? ...Errm Program or whatever used to mod it? I made the gif with gimp, since I find importing/exporting as layers a bit easier than using imageready.