Help with guessing game :D

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 29 13:24:08 EDT 2013

On 10/29/2013 05:45 AM, Robert Gonda wrote:
> Hey guys, so I figured I will give python a shot. I got to exercise that has asked me to create a number guessing game which weren't a problem,
> guessesTaken = 0 #This is a "Guesses taken counter"
> print("Hello, what's your name?") #Asking the user to input their name
> N = raw_input() #What the user's name is
> import random #This is importing the random function
> number = random.randint(1, 999) #This tells the random function to generate a random number between 1 to 1000
> print(N + ", I'm thinking of a number between 1-1000") #Not needed but tells the user their name and tells them that it's thinking of a number betweeen 1 to 1000
> while guessesTaken < 10:
>     print('Take a guess.')
>     guess = input()
>     guess = int(guess)
>     guessesTaken = guessesTaken + 1
>     if guess < number: #Says that if the guess is too low it will print a message saying that the guess is too low
>         print('Your guess is too low.')
>     if guess > number: #Says that if the guess is too high it will print a message saying that the guess is too high
>         print('Your guess is too high.')
>     if guess == number:
>         break #Breaks the loop, meaning it will continue to loop for 10 times while giving them messages from above depending on their results
> if guess == number:
>     guessesTaken = str(guessesTaken)
>     print("Congrat's, " + N + "! You managed to get the number in " + guessesTaken + " guesses!") #Tells the user they managed to guess it in x number of times
> if guess != number: #If the user is unable to guess the number in 10 times it will stop the loop and give the user a message
>     number = str(number)
>     print("No, the right number was" + number)
>
> However the problem is that it also asked me to do the following : If at least one of the digit guessed is right it will say "y" otherwise "n" which I can't seem to do :/ any help?

and

On 10/29/2013 08:25 AM, Alister wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 06:10:30 -0700, Robert Gonda wrote:
>[...]
>> Now you have confused me completely, sorry im just new to python and
>> just learning everything :) could you perhaps give me an example? or
>> part of the code that's missing?
>
> you will probably learn more through trial & error than you will from
> being given an answer

While this is true for some people sometimes, I don't think
it is always true.  Very often it is easier and faster to
learn something be seeing a worked out example and studying
it to see how it works.  This is especially true when one
is new to a programming language and doesn't have a good
understanding of the terminology and concepts that people
who have been using the language take for granted.

> to shine some more light on my advise try the following
>
> code="7689"
> for digit in code:
> 	print(digit)
>
> does this give you any Ideas on how to proceed?

Robert, please see if this is what you were trying to do:

-------------------------
guessesTaken = 0 #This is a "Guesses taken counter"
print("Hello, what's your name?") #Asking the user to input their name
N = input() #What the user's name is
import random #This is importing the random function
number = random.randint(1, 999) #This tells the random function to generate a random number between 1 to 1000

number_str = str (number)     # Convert 'guess' to a string of digits.
while len (number_str) < 3:   # If there are less than 3 digits, add leading "0"s until it is three digits.
    number_str = "0" + number_str

print(N + ", I'm thinking of a number between 1-1000") #Not needed but tells the user their name and tells them that it's thinking of a number betweeen 1 to 1000
while guessesTaken < 10:
    print('Take a guess.')
    guess = input()
    guess = int(guess)
    guessesTaken = guessesTaken + 1
    if guess < number: #Says that if the guess is too low it will print a message saying that the guess is too low
        print('Your guess is too low.')
    if guess > number: #Says that if the guess is too high it will print a message saying that the guess is too high
        print('Your guess is too high.')
    if guess == number:
        break #Breaks the loop, meaning it will continue to loop for 10 times while giving them messages from above depending on their results

    guess_str = str (guess)     # Convert 'guess' to a string of digits.
    while len (guess_str) < 3:  # If there are less than 3 digits, add leading "0"s until it is three digits.
        guess_str = "0" + guess_str
    if len (guess_str) > 3: guess_str = guess_str[-2:]  # Make sure it is no longer than 3 digits.
    # Here, we know that 'number_str' is exactly 3 digits.  'guess_str' is at least
    # 3 digits but could be more if the user entered, for example, 34567.
    print ("digits matched: ", end='')
    for i in range (2, -1, -1):
        # 'i' will have the values, 2, 1, 0.
        if guess_str[i] == number_str[i]: print ("Y", end='')
        else: print ("N", end='')
    print()

if guess == number:
    guessesTaken = str(guessesTaken)
    print("Congrat's, " + N + "! You managed to get the number in " + guessesTaken + " guesses!") #Tells the user they managed to guess it in x number of times
if guess != number: #If the user is unable to guess the number in 10 times it will stop the loop and give the user a message
    number = str(number)
    print("No, the right number was" + number)
-------------------------

Some comments...
  guess_str[-2:]
you want to read about "slices" in the Python docs, for example
  http://docs.python.org/2/tutorial/introduction.html#strings
The -2 means indexing starts counting from the right end of the string
rather than the left had the index been positive.

  print ("Y", end='')
The end='' means don't print a newline after printing the "Y" string.
See http://docs.python.org/2/library/functions.html#print

Also, what Mark and Rusi were trying to say (not very clearly)
is that when you post from Google Groups, Google Groups insert
a lot of empty lines in the ">" the at the top of the message.

Look at your message,
  https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.lang.python/6WMfzbtIyi8/AV4sce1zPicJ
(make sure to click the "- show quoted text -" link!)
to see what everybody who doesn't use Google Groups sees.

When post a message, please try to edit you message before
you send it to get rid of  those blank lines.  In most cases
you can get rid of all the ">" text, *except* for a small
amount that gives the gist of what you are responding to.