timedelta problem

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 14:05:38 EDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Denis McMahon
<denismfmcmahon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 09:23:02 -0600, Ian Kelly wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 1:39 AM, Denis McMahon
>> <denismfmcmahon at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 10:24:47 +0800, luofeiyu wrote:
>>>
>>> On further inspection, it seems that strptime() in 2.7 doesn't handle
>>> %z at all. In 3.2, it ignores the value it gets, because there's no
>>> practical way to select the "right" tz string from the offset.
>>
>> I'm not sure when %z was added, but it's worth noting that it doesn't
>> seem to be documented earlier than 3.3.
>
> There may be some confusion because %z is in the table of strftime and
> strptime format chars on the 2.7.8 docs at
>
> https://docs.python.org/2/library/datetime.html#strftime-and-strptime-
> behavior
>
> but I suspect it's only applicable to strftime in that release.

Ah, interesting. I was looking at the time.strptime docs. I
incorrectly assumed that since help(datetime.strptime) defers to
help(time.strptime), the docs would also.

I note it says that "datetime.strptime(date_string, format) is
equivalent to datetime(*(time.strptime(date_string, format)[0:6]))",
but clearly that's not the case when the format includes %z.