How to write this as a list comprehension?

John Allsup pydev at allsup.co
Sat Jan 18 20:24:56 EST 2014

Hi,

I'd agree with the advice that it's not the best idea: readability sucks
here, but consider the following:

import time

def somefunc(a,b,c,d): # dummy function
     return "{} - {} - {} : {}".format(a,b,c,d)
l = [(time.time(),"name {}".format(n)) for n in range(100)] # dummy data

# the line in question
labels = [somefunc(*(lambda t,n:
(t.tm_mon,t.tm_mday,t.tm_wday,n))(time.localtime(x[0]),x[1])) for x in l]

print(labels) # just to see the result

If you find that hard to decipher, the consider the maintainability of
code you write that uses such comprehensions.  You need to include
comments that explain what this does, and it is easier to write a
longhand version using .append() and variable assignments.  I presume
performance won't be an issue determining the right approach, since then
you'd be using C or C++.

John