OT: This Swift thing

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Jun 4 10:24:18 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 4:49 PM, Mark H Harris <harrismh777 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been engaged in a minor flame debate (locally) over block delimiters
> (or lack thereof) which I'm loosing. Locally, people hate python's
> indentation block delimiting, and wish python would adopt curly braces.

Which reminds me of this note I saw the other day in a blog discussing
JavaScript for Python programmers: "JavaScript uses curly brackets to
denote code blocks. Python uses indentation. Get over it."

Surely your local colleagues realize that Python has been around for
20-odd years now, that indentation-based block structure has been
there since Day One, and that it's not going to change, right?

Here's a (bad?) analogy. Suppose I really, really hate blue as a car
color. Red's my favorite color. Blue's been around since, I don't
know, a long, long time. Still I really, really hate to see cars
painted blue. I really wish Chevrolet and Ford (Guido and the Python
development team) would stop painting cars blue. Furthermore, I'm so
disgusted by the color, I want the owners of all blue cars everywhere
(every Python programmer in the world) to take them to Maaco and get
them repainted red (converted to use curly braces or END tags,
whatever).

Why are you people even having this discussion?

Skip