OT: This Swift thing

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Jun 5 04:39:34 EDT 2014

On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 22:43:05 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:

> Many mail readers treat \t as a null char since it actually has no
> standard translation into screen space.

I challenge that assertion. There are two standard translations into
screen space: jump to the next multiple of 8 spaces, or 1 space.

Treating \t as a single space would be pathetic but standard. Treating it
as (up to) 8 spaces would be more useful, and standard. Rendering it as a
picture of a banana dancing on the ceiling would be silly and non-
standard. Not rendering it at all is even more stupid and less justified.

--
Steven