OT: This Swift thing

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Jun 9 10:11:27 EDT 2014

On Monday 09 June 2014 02:32:33 Rustom Mody did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Monday, June 9, 2014 9:50:38 AM UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> > >
> > > If you are arguing that computers should not use millions/billions
> > > of transistors, I wont argue, since I dont know the technology.
> >
> > No. I'm arguing that they shouldn't convert 90% of their energy input
> > into heat.

Looking at the whole system, about the only energy input that is not
converted to heat, would be the milliwatt or 3 of sound from the speaker
when it beeps at you, and the additional energy to spin the fans.  That is
all calculate able if you have experience in air moving, as in HVAC.

> Strange statement.
> What should they convert it into then?
>
> JFTR: Information processing and (physics) energy are about as
> convertible as say: "Is a kilogram smaller/greater than a mile?"

;-)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)